I love pasta salad in the summer and make it often... This is one that I make often, and it's WONDERFUL!
- 1 (16 ounce) box rotini pasta, cooked and drained (corkscrew)
- 1 large onion, cut in 1/2, then sliced into thin wedges
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut in 1/2, then sliced into thin wedges
- 3 large broccoli florets, separating flowers into bite size pieces and peeling stem, and cutting into thin slices
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives (left whole, cut in 1/2, or cut into slices)
- 16 ounces bottle* of your favorite salad dressing (I use Italian, Caesar or Christy's Greek Dressing, (my favorite)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to box directions, drain and let cool (do not overcook pasta, or salad will be mushy). Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, slice and dice all veggies, and put in a big bowl. Refrigerate.
- When all is chilled mix veggies in with pasta, and add salad dressing, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all well.
- *Save some of the salad dressing to pour on just before serving. When it's time to serve you can add more salad dressing, if you like more. The pasta has a tendency to soak up salad dressing as it marinates, so I save some to add right at serving time.
- Use kalamata, or green olives instead of black.
- Add little corn ears.
- Add your favorite cheese, any hard, American or Feta.
- Add cheese and diced pepperoni, or hard salami.
- Add frozen green peas, thawed.
- Add radishes, diced, or sliced.