This potato salad has FABULOUS FLAVOR... A little different than the traditional Potato Salad recipe... I made some today, and it reminded me to share this fantastic recipe with all of you! Great for barbecues, showers, picnics... Heck, good anytime!
- 2 lbs red potatoes or 2 lbs thin skinned white potatoes, skins on, larger potatoes cut in half
- 2 tablespoons salt, for water to cook potatoes
- 5 large eggs, hard boiled, and chopped fine
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped fine
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 large green pepper, sliced into strips, then chopped fine
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, to taste (Do NOT use fat free or low fat)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cover same size potatoes with water by 2" in a 3 quart saucepan. Add 2 T. of salt, and bring to a boil, then cook uncovered, until just tender, 15-25 mins., depending on size of potatoes. (If you cook them too long, they will be soggy.)
- Drain in a colander, and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate in a covered bowl.
- Meanwhile, run the eggs under cold water, crack, and peel. Put the eggs in with the bowl with of potatoes, to chill.
- When potatoes are cold, (and if you want to do this in a hurry, you can put them in the freezer for a 1/2 hour or so to cool) take out of the refrigerator, and cut into 1" pieces (leaving the skins on).
- Cut up eggs in a small bowl, then squeeze between your fingers, to make them fine.
- Cut yellow onions, green onions, celery and green pepper, and shred carrots. Add to potato mixture, and mix together carefully, trying not to break up potatoes.
- Add mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard together in a small bowl, mixing well.
- Add to potato mixture, and carefully mix together.
- Adjust flavor with salt, and lots of freshly ground pepper.
- Serve cold, on a platter with a bed of fresh greens, and a sprinkling with paprika, to garnish.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
This is the first and only potato recipe I'm ever going to try. It's totally yummy I ate the entire meal by myself over 3 days!!! Because I only had 97% fat free mayo, I substituted it with Japanese mayo in those huge squeeze bottles. I'll recommend trying it with that if you have it on hand. Thanks Linda!
Much enjoyed by my whole family! We loved all the veggies. Makes for a delicious salad!
Awesome potato salad!! It gets better when it sits for a day, so make ahead if you can. It's still awesome the first day though if you don't have the time to wait to serve. This is my new one for the summer! D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!