Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
I used to live in NH and lots of times went to the beach, where they sell the most delicious caramel nut popcorn. This recipe does the trick for me when I am wanting some, now that I live away from the beach. It is an INCREDIBLE snack any time of day or night! Preparation time does not include the time used to make popcorn.
Top Review by SoCalCookerGal
I made 2 batches that did not turn out too well. Then I got the hang of it. I timed the mixture from the time it just started to come to a gentle rolling boil I turned the heat down slightly and cooked for about 7 to 8 minutes. I didn't have a candy thermometer. I used mixed nuts which was a really good mixture of caramel nuts and popcorn. A nice caramel flavor. Thank you.
- 8 cups freshly popped popcorn (about 1/2 c. unpopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts (I love cashews, whole almonds or pecan halves, or try a mixture of your favorites)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Pop popcorn, and set aside to cool.
- Mix popcorn and nuts together on a lg. cookie sheet (no smaller than 11x17x2-inch).
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In heavy saucepan add sugars, butter, and syrup. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 8 minutes to 245-250°F using a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, and add soda and vanilla. Stir well, until creamy.
- Pour over popped corn and nuts, and mix well to coat all the corn with the mixture.
- Bake at 300°F, for 10 minutes, then stir.
- Bake 10 more minutes
- Transfer to a large sheet of aluminum foil.
- Spread mixture thin. Let cool completely.
- Break up, and store in an airtight container.