Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I used to live in NH and lots of times went to the beach, where they sell the most delicious caramel nut popcorn. This recipe does the trick for me when I am wanting some, now that I live away from the beach. It is an INCREDIBLE snack any time of day or night! Preparation time does not include the time used to make popcorn.
- 8 cups freshly popped popcorn (about 1/2 c. unpopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts (I love cashews, whole almonds or pecan halves, or try a mixture of your favorites)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pop popcorn, and set aside to cool.
- Mix popcorn and nuts together on a lg. cookie sheet (no smaller than 11x17x2-inch).
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In heavy saucepan add sugars, butter, and syrup. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 8 minutes to 245-250°F using a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, and add soda and vanilla. Stir well, until creamy.
- Pour over popped corn and nuts, and mix well to coat all the corn with the mixture.
- Bake at 300°F, for 10 minutes, then stir.
- Bake 10 more minutes
- Transfer to a large sheet of aluminum foil.
- Spread mixture thin. Let cool completely.
- Break up, and store in an airtight container.
I made 2 batches that did not turn out too well. Then I got the hang of it. I timed the mixture from the time it just started to come to a gentle rolling boil I turned the heat down slightly and cooked for about 7 to 8 minutes. I didn't have a candy thermometer. I used mixed nuts which was a really good mixture of caramel nuts and popcorn. A nice caramel flavor. Thank you.