Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
This is a really TASTY Fried Clam recipe. Try it and see for yourself... It's a WINNER! You can also use this same recipe for scallops, oysters, and any other fish...
Top Review by ImACookingDiva
These are the best clams I have ever had, that I made at home. They are just like the clam shacks in ME, NH, CT and MASS. We had with some french fries, coleslaw and rolls, just like at the shacks and it brought us to New England once again, with all the fresh flavors these clams had! My DH and I were on cloud 9 eating every bite. Oh what a feast! Thanks Linda!
- 3 cups soft shell clams or 3 cups long-neck clams, drained, and shucked
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cornflour (not cornmeal)
- lemon wedge
- tartar sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to its lowest setting.
- Line a lg. cookie sheet with double thickness of paper towels, and place it in the oven.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep fryer, or a lg. heavy saucepan, to a depth of about 3".
- Heat oil to 375°F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until well blended, then stir in the milk and salt.
- Spread the flour on a lg. strip of wax paper.
- Drop the clams into the egg-milk mixture, and let them soak for 1 minute.
- Pick up a handful of the soaked clams, and roll them in the flour until well coated. Shake off any excess flour before dropping in the oil.
- Immediately drop the floured clams into the hot oil, and deep-fry for 1-2 mins., until golden brown.
- As they brown, transfer them to the towel-lined pan, and keep them warm in the oven, while the rest are cooking.
- Serve with lemon wedges, tarter sauce, and ketchup.