1/7 Photos of Linda's New England Clam Chowder
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
This is delicious on a cold winter or fall day! If thickened, this is great in a bread bowl. I love mine with oyster crackers on top, and a BIG dill or sour pickle on the side! You can add 2 cans cream style corn too, as I did in the pictures I posted for another delicious chowder variation! If you cook ahead and give chowder a chance to sit in the fridge, the flavors will meld and it is even more AWESOME the 2nd day! I often use Fat Free Half And Half in place of the whole milk, and its great too. NOTE: This chowder makes lots of delicious thin milky, buttery broth, which is traditional in New England style chowders. If you make changes to the amounts of milk, butter, etc. it will not taste as rich and delicious, and changes the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large potatoes, peeled, and cubed into 1-inch squares
- 2 large onions, cut in 1/2, then thinly sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans geisha brand baby clams, with juice
- 2 quarts whole milk, works best
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup margarine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle clam juice (optional)
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans cream-style corn (optional)
- 1In a lg. pot, put in potatoes, and onions. Add enough water to cover all.
- 2Add salt and pepper, and let come to a boil. Boil about 15 minutes.
- 3Drain out water, until it is just covering all.
- 4Add clams with juice and bottled clam juice (if you are using), milk and evaporated milk, Stir.
- 5Add stick of margarine, and stir as it melts to blend. Heat for 20 mins on med. heat.
- 6If you want to thicken the chowder, do so now, by adding about 1/2 cup flour into 2 cups COLD water, mixing well to remove lumps, then add about 1/3 at a time into chowder, until you get desired consistency.
- 7Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 8Makes a big pot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linda's New England Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (754 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 659.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 340.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 28.1 g