Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 45 mins
The layers of flavor as cooking continues is what makes this stand out from other chili recipes. This is the method I use for chili cook offs in our local area. Everyone seems to enjoy it.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 canned green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mince garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) pinto beans
- 8 tablespoons california chili powder, divided or 8 tablespoons mild chili powder, blend divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons badia adobo seasoning (con pimienta with pepper, blend divided)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 ounces spicy pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons mild new mexico chile powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot new mexico chile powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- In a stock pot, combine onion, green chile, garlic, tomato sauce, chicken broth, 6 tablespoons California chili powder, salt, 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. After chili has simmered for 1 hour, add the remaining 2 tablespoons California chili powder.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and sausage until cooked throughly. Add meat mixture and kidney beans to chili and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and diced tomatoes, mild New Mexico chili powder and 2 tablespoons cumin and simmer another 45 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon hot New Mexico chili powder, and the lime juice. Cook for another 30 minutes. Season with additional salt, to taste.