Recipe by upnorth cook
The layers of flavor as cooking continues is what makes this stand out from other chili recipes. This is the method I use for chili cook offs in our local area. Everyone seems to enjoy it.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 canned green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mince garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) pinto beans
- 8 tablespoons california chili powder, divided or 8 tablespoons mild chili powder, blend divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons badia adobo seasoning (con pimienta with pepper, blend divided)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 ounces spicy pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons mild new mexico chile powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot new mexico chile powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stock pot, combine onion, green chile, garlic, tomato sauce, chicken broth, 6 tablespoons California chili powder, salt, 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. After chili has simmered for 1 hour, add the remaining 2 tablespoons California chili powder.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and sausage until cooked throughly. Add meat mixture and kidney beans to chili and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and diced tomatoes, mild New Mexico chili powder and 2 tablespoons cumin and simmer another 45 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon hot New Mexico chili powder, and the lime juice. Cook for another 30 minutes. Season with additional salt, to taste.