Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Years ago I wanted to try something different in my meatloaf and decided to add the rice. My family and I loved it, and have been eating it ever since. I have several that I make, but this one is one of my FAVORITES!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put beef and onions together in a lg. bowl. Mix well.
- Add bread crumbs, eggs, and milk, and mix well.
- Add rice and water, and mix well. (It will be soupy. It won't be like that when it's done).
- Add 1/2 cups ketchup, and 1/2 cups tomato sauce, salt and pepper, and mix well. I use my hands to mix it together. It doesn't look so good before being cooked, but it is when it is cooked!
- Put mixture in a 9x13-inch casserole dish, shaping into a loaf.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining ketchup and tomato sauce together. Pour over top of meatloaf.
- Bake in 350°F oven, for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
This was a wonderful meatloaf. Loved the rice in it. It was something just a little bit different. My whole family just couldn't get enough. Will be making this many more times. Thanks for posting.
Nothing like Baked Potatoes, Meatloaf, and Butternut Squash for dinner. This was delicious! Thanks!
A very DELICIOUS meatloaf we had tonight. I also agree that the addition of rice is great here. Will be making again in the future. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.