Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Looking for something just a little differfent to make for a lovely appetizer? Man Oh Man are these GOOD! Everyone goes nuts over these tasty little morsels! If I am making this dish just for myself, I don’t drain the shrimp. I let it marinate in the sauce in the refrigerator, and take out what I want and keep the rest in the refrigerator. They never stay in the refrigerator long though. Preparation time does not include the cleaning and deveining of the shrimp.
- 1 cup oil (I use Canola oil. Corn oil is fine)
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar (I use plain apple cider vinegar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 dashes salt
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 lb shrimp (I prefer the medium-large to large size)
- 4 bay leaves
- Mix sauce with electric mixer about 5 minutes before pouring over shrimp.
- Shell and devein shrimp. Cook shrimp in water until they just turn pink, 1-2 minutes. Don’t overcook.
- Put cooked shrimp, raw onion slices, and Bay leaves in a container.
- Pour sauce over all. Fold gently to incorporate the sauce evenly.
- Cover the container, and let it remain in the refrigerator at least 24 hours. (It is not necessary, but I do stir them once or twice in the 24-hour period. It is an excuse to sample one).
- Before serving, drain the sauce. Put drained shrimp in serving dish.
- Sprinkle with parsley flakes, if desired.
- Serve with crackers.
Very nice! I made a 1/4 batch for myself as an afternoon snack (dh is allergic). I made it super easy by using a Ziploc bag to toss everything in and marinade with. Based on another reviewer, I used red onion and minced it small. I think next time I will leave the onion out altogether. I would also use half the amount of vinegar next time. I did add some horseradish sauce to it for zing and that turned out really nice. Overall a great recipe and nice change from traditional cocktail sauce. It's really nice that the sauce AND the shrimp are chilled well, and marinading really brings a lot of flavor 'into' the shrimp. Thanks for a keeper recipe. :)
This was a nice change from the typical shrimp cocktail. I forgot to add vinegar and it was still great. I will make this again soon and I'm sure it'll be even better when I do it right!
These shrimp are easy to prepare with ingredients you will most likely have on hand. I found the onion flavor to be overpowering. For me, this is not a make again recipe.