Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here's a great way to make your own ice cream sandwiches!!! If you can't find the Nabisco Chocolate Wafer Cookies in your store (check near the ice cream toppings, as it seems they are sometimes in an odd place in the store), you can use my recipe for Chocolate Wafer Cookies (Like Nabisco Chocolate Wafer Cookies), to make these yummy treats! The kids and "Big Kids" will be smiling ear to ear while having one of these! Try rolling the finished sandwiches in mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, crushed nuts, M&M's, or your favorite candy bar, then freezing. You can also use these in making an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake for a special treat or Birthday! NOTE: Preparation time does NOT include time to soften the ice cream. Add on at least 1/2 hr. for that to your preparation time. Cooking time is chilling time. Make sure once you make these you let them sit in the freezer for AT LEAST 2 hours before serving, so the ice cream has a chance to harden.
- 36 chocolate wafer cookies (Nabisco Chocolate Wafer Cookies (or see my recipe for Chocolate Wafer Cookies (Like Nabisco Chocolat)
- 1⁄2 gallon ice cream, softened (your favorite)
- Soften the ice cream until it is easily spreadable.
- Top one half of cookie with some ice cream (at least 1" thick), then put another cookie on top. (Press down easy, so you don't crack the cookies).
- Continue making the sandwiches until you are done.
- If you are decorating the sides with your favorite nuts, candies or candy bars, do so now by rolling the sandwich, in the treat of your choice, all the way around.
- Wrap each ice cream sandwich in saran wrap, and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
My kids were having friends for a sleepover, bbq and to swim in the pond. I wanted to make them a quick dessert that they would enjoy in this hot weather. I found the Chocolate Wafers at the supermarket and made these up. They took about 5 minutes to prepare and then I just froze them until ready to serve after dinner. They went wild for them and asked me for another and another. After 4 a piece I told them that was enough for one night! I made some vanilla with mini chocolate chips and some vanilla, chocolate and strawberry with chocolate sprinkles. I had to try one of course and I have to admit, they were great!
So easy and great filled with your favorite ice cream. I love the cookies by themselves, but filled with ice cream is awesome. I dipped the edges in finely chopped pecans and they were so good!
I vote for this brilliant idea!!! Thank you!