1/3 Photos of Linda's Huli Huli Chicken
1 hr 10 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
Huli huli means to turn over and over in Hawaiian, so no matter what method you choose to make this recipe, the key is to Huli Huli :) This chicken dish is tender and so DELICIOUS, and is a FAVORITE in my household. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Try it on pork or ribs, it's great also!!! Cooking time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (2 -3 lb) fryer chickens
- 3/4 cup soy sauce, reduced sodium works fine
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or 1 teaspoon asian chili paste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1Split each chicken down the backbone, but leave attached at breast. Remove neck bone.
- 2Rinse off chickens, and pat dry with paper towels. Set into a lg. plastic container.
- 3To make marinade, mix together soy sauce, lime juice, honey, brown sugar, oil, garlic, ketchup, gingerroot, sambal oelek or Asian chile paste, salt and pepper, and sesame oil if using.
- 4Pour marinade over chicken, then cover, and store in refrigerator.
- 5Marinate split chickens for 20 minutes to 4 hours. (If you are short on time it is not absolutely necessary to marinate chicken).
- 6During the marinating time, turn chickens often, to coat all areas of the chickens well.
- 7Secure chickens on rotisserie and roast 60-80 minutes, basting often with the marinade while cooking.
- 8If you don't have a rotisserie, grill the chicken on a barbecue rack over med. coals, turning often for about 45 minutes Baste frequently with the marinade, flipping chicken often while cooking.
- 9If you'd prefer, you can roast the chicken at 325, for 1 1/2 hrs., basting chicken often with the marinade, and flipping the chicken often while cooking.
- 10Do not save the marinade, or serve over chicken!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linda's Huli Huli Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1429.1
- Calories from Fat 648
- Total Fat 72.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 399.5 mg
- Sodium 3524.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 56.4 g
- Protein 130.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: