Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful recipe for SCRUMPTIOUS Southern Fried Chicken from my friend Linda.
- 2 lbs chicken, with skin
- 2 cups water
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled
- 1 peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup lard, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Cut chicken into serving-sized pieces. Do not remove skin.
- Wash in water with the juice of the lime. Drain, and dry well.
- Mix seasonings in a glass dish.
- Place chicken into the glass dish, and rub seasonings into chicken pieces. Cover, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- When ready to make chicken remove from glass dish and wipe with a paper towel.
- In a paper bag mix salt and flour, and shake pieces of chicken one at a time, until well coated.
- Place chicken pieces on a plate.
- Melt 1/2 the butter, and lard in a frying pan.
- When fat is hot, cook chicken until light brown, turning occasionally.
- Add hot water and wine to the pan. Cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- In another frying pan, melt the rest of the lard and butter.
- Remove pieces of chicken from first frying pan to this pan, and fry crisp, for a few secs., over moderate heat.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve at once.
I am not going to rate this It did not work for me I think the problem might be determing what bite size pieces are,I cut them into small pieces, my idea of bite size, then when I read to coat them one at at ime I knew they were to small, because of the small size they were crowed in the pan and did not get crisp
Good gosh, was this chicken ever good! The seasoning really got into the meat and the seasonings and the addition of the wine added lots of flavor in every bite! We loved it and I will be making it often!