1/4 Photos of Linda's Fantabulous Food Processor Pie Crust
Secret Agent's Note:
This is easy, yummy, fast and can be frozen after shaping into disks! What more could you want! Good for fruit pies, cream pies, pot pies, quiche, pigs in a blanket! Make a double batch and freeze the disks you don't need for your recipe. Makes enough dough for two 9 or 10 inch deep dish crusts. Please note that on a humid day you will need less water and on a dry day a little more. This makes a beautiful and flaky crust and cuts like a dream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (bleached or unbleached)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup shortening, chunked up and frozen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (it does make a difference to use unsalted butter_)
- 5 -6 tablespoons ice water, depending on your humidity
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 egg yolk
- 1Whiz flour and salt in processor a few times.
- 2Add the frozen shortening and butter and whiz until you have pea sized lumps.
- 3Mix water, vinegar and egg well and dump over the flour mixture all at once. Whiz until the dough almost comes together. If it forms a ball you went too far --
- 4Dump the dough onto a sheet of waxed paper and divide in half. Shape the dough into two flat disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for two hours or double wrap and freeze for up to three months.
- 5Roll bottom crust to fit your pan. Before filling or blind baking paint the bottom crust with a beaten egg white. Trim the crust.
- 6Fill the shell and continue with your recipe.
- 7Roll the top crust. Lay on top of filling, and flute the edge.
- 8Mix the remaining egg white and yolk and 'paint' the top crust. For a fruit pie sprinkle sugar on top crust and for a savory add a drop or two of cream to the egg yolk and paint the top crust.
- 9Continue with your recipe and bake according to the directions.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linda's Fantabulous Food Processor Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1611.8
- Calories from Fat 931
- Total Fat 103.5 g
- Saturated Fat 43.7 g
- Cholesterol 298.0 mg
- Sodium 163.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 26.0 g