Cook1 hr 5 mins
I made this for a cooking contest at my house yesterday for an international dish, and it won First Place!
- Cut the croissants into 1" cubes. You should have about 3 1/2 cups.
- Place the cubes in an 8x8x3" ovenproof baking dish.
- In a saucepan, heat the half and half, cream, and salt over med-high heat, stirring occasionally to make sure the mixture doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the cream mixture reaches a fast simmer (do not let it boil), turn off the heat.
- Add the chocolate, and whisk until melted.
- In a lg. mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together. Whisking constantly, gradually add the hot chocolate-cream mixture.
- Strain the mixture over the croissant pieces, and toss lightly. Let sit while the mixture is absorbed, at least 15 minutes As it soaks, fold the mixture a few times to ensure even soaking.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 350.
- Line a roasting pan that is 2" deep, and larger than the baking dish with paper towels.
- Fill the pan with very hot water, and place the dish of Bread Pudding inside.
- Bake until set, about 65-80 mins., depending on thickness of glass dish. Test periodically every 10 minutes after 60 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream on each serving.