Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Soup is wonderful when the weather outside is cooling off, and we need something to warm our insides. This soup says COMFORT and is sure to please anytime you feel like having some! Great served in a bread bowl!
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ham, cubed (I use smoked ham shoulder)
- bacon, crumbled (I use Hormel Real Bacon Pieces)
- Peel potatoes, and cut into 1" cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in a lg. saucepan. Add potatoes, and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes Drain well, reserving liquid. Set aside.
- Measure 1 cup cooking liquid from the pan, adding water if necessary to make 1 cup.
- Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over med. heat. Add onion and stir frequently, until onion is opague and tender, but not brown.
- Add flour, and season with fresh ground black pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved cup of liquid, evaporated milk, and half and half. Stir well.
- Add cheese and chopped ham. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently until piping hot.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top of soup, and add more pepper if you like.
Cassie made this for us and it was so delicious! I loved the cheesy flavor and the smoothness of the soup. We cut our ham, potatoes and onions in larger chunks and just cooked them a little longer. I look forward to having this again! Thanks! Mike
This was very good. I replaced the cheddar with parmesan.