Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Great recipe for a cold winter's day. We love it over pasta with a mixture of grated jack and cheddar cheeses. I am now using Alton Brown's Chili Powder recipe and it makes a huge difference. YUM!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, with juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup wine or 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Brown sausages in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in 8 quart dutch oven.
- Add chopped onion, green pepper, and garlic to ground beef and saute.
- Add all cans of tomatoes broth and beans.
- Add spices and wine to taste.
- Simmer for 3 hours. Add salt.
- Add jalapeno pepper, if desired.