Top Review by Bonje
This is a good recipe for peanut butter eggs. When I made mine I did not put in the fridge or freezer as they were firm enough to cover with chocolate. When the eggs are frozen or cold it makes it difficult to get the chocolate coating smooth as the coldness of the eggs makes the chocolate harden quickly. Made 20 '2 bite eggs', 11 '3 bite eggs', and 1 larger egg.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 20 -23 ounces semisweet chocolate or 20 -23 ounces milk chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the butter and cream cheese together.
- (I put in the microwave for 30-45 secs. to soften).
- Add the confectionary sugar about 1 cup at a time, along with vanilla, and mix well. (I use my hands).
- Place the mixture in the freezer to chill for at least 20 minutes (You want it firm, but not frozen, so check it from time to time).
- Form the mixture into egg shapes with your hands. (It is helpful to put some confectionary sugar on your hands so the eggs don't stick to them).
- When you are done making the eggs, put them in freezer again for at least 25 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a a double boiler.
- Dip the bottom of the egg into the chocolate, then place it on a small flat dish. Take a spoon, and spoon some melted chocolate on top, spreading around with a butter knife. (Make sure you don't get it on too thick, or you won't have enough for the whole batch).
- Arrange the chocolate coated eggs on an aluminum foil paper lined tray.
- When done making eggs, put in the freezer for a few minutes to harden eggs.
- Place each egg in a pastel colored paper cupcake cup.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered with aluminum foil.