Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Beef Stew is always great to have in the winter. If you love stews, this is the one to TRY! Delicious as a clear broth soup, or thicken to make a gravy... BOTH are AWESOME! Make along with Grammie Bea's Herbed Dumplings, and you will be coming back for more!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled, and quartered
- 2 large onions, halved, and then sliced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 6 carrots, sliced thin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown stew beef in a small amount of oil.
- Put meat and onions in a pot covered with water. Add salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 2 hrs, adding more water, if needed, as meat cooks.
- After cooking for 2 hrs., add the vegetables, and cook another 1/2 hours.
- Serve, or if you like the gravy thick follow directions below.
- You may thicken the juice by adding 2 T. of corn starch to 1/2 cup cold water and mix, then pour into pan.
- Stir, and let cook for a few minutes to thicken to desired consistency.
We don't like our Beef Stew with thickened gravy so this recipe really appealed to me. We love slurping up the broth, and with the onions, celery, salt and pepper, it is flavored just right! I made with your Gram's dumplings, and let me tell you my husband went nuts over this! He had 5 dumplings, and they are pretty good sized too! This stew is easy to make, and such a warm and comforting meal during these long cold months in Maine. I look forward to trying some of your other stews and chowders too Linda. Dee - Lish!
What a great stew Linda! We inhaled a whole bowl in no time flat and went back for more! I did thicken the gravy a little, but I think I will leave it in the broth next time as it was so yummy just like that! Thank you for sharing!
So easy to whip up and really had lots of flavor. It was even better the second day after everything had a chance to set. I left the broth thin . We love it that way! I made Grammie Bea's Herb Dumplings too, because they sounded so easy to make and so delicious, and they were! It really topped off the stew!