Top Review by Maine E Ack!
We don't like our Beef Stew with thickened gravy so this recipe really appealed to me. We love slurping up the broth, and with the onions, celery, salt and pepper, it is flavored just right! I made with your Gram's dumplings, and let me tell you my husband went nuts over this! He had 5 dumplings, and they are pretty good sized too! This stew is easy to make, and such a warm and comforting meal during these long cold months in Maine. I look forward to trying some of your other stews and chowders too Linda. Dee - Lish!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled, and quartered
- 2 large onions, halved, and then sliced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 6 carrots, sliced thin
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown stew beef in a small amount of oil.
- Put meat and onions in a pot covered with water. Add salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 2 hrs, adding more water, if needed, as meat cooks.
- After cooking for 2 hrs., add the vegetables, and cook another 1/2 hours.
- Serve, or if you like the gravy thick follow directions below.
- You may thicken the juice by adding 2 T. of corn starch to 1/2 cup cold water and mix, then pour into pan.
- Stir, and let cook for a few minutes to thicken to desired consistency.