Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I love salt water taffy, and always pick up some when I go to the beach... Here is a GREAT recipe for those who would like to make your own! Serving size depends on how lg. you cut your pieces. I love using peppermint, and mint flavoring. Sometimes I also mix in finely chopped nuts to the taffy at the end of the pulling, depending on what kind I am making. Experiment with your favorite choices... It's a REAL TREAT!
- In a heavy 3 quart saucepan, combing sugar, corn syrup, and water. Place over high heat, stir constantly until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking to 260°F, which is hard ball stage using your candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, add salt and butter. Pour into buttered 15x10" pan. Allow to cool about 20 minutes
- In the meantime mix the confectionary sugar and cornstarch together well, and set aside.
- Sprinkle the desired coloring and flavoring that you want to use over the candy.
- Knead the flavoring/coloring into the candy, then pull candy slowly until your hands are about 18" apart.
- Fold taffy in half, and continue pulling and folding the taffy, until candy is hard, about 20-30 minutes
- Candy will look smooth and satin-like when it is ready.
- Form into 1/2-3/4" thick rope pieces, by rolling on the counter using your hands.
- Using a sharp pair of scissors, cut rope into bite sized pieces.
- Allow to drop onto surface which has been dusted with a mixture of the confectionary sugar and cornstarch.
- Wrap individually in waxed paper squares, and store in an air tight container.