Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I was first attracted to this recipe because I'm a big Beatles fan, and secondly because it's a good vegan recipe. Pretty easy to make, and delicious!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 226.79 g firm tofu, crumbled
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 6 corn tortillas or 6 ready-to-eat taco shells
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- Saute the onion, garlic and bell pepper in oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tofu, chili powder, cumin, oregano and soy sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer over low heat until mixture is fairly dry.
- Heat tortillas in a heavy, ungreased skillet, turning each from side to side until soft and pliable (omit this step if using taco shells).
- Place a small amount of the tofu mixture in the center, fold the tortillas in half, and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa and avocado.
Gawsh, we need a 10-star reviewing system! This is a fantastic recipe! The tofu did not taste tofu-ey at all, and my sister thought that I'd used panir! I scaled it to 4 servings, and used 1/4 cup of tomato paste dissolved in 1/3 cup water for the tomato sauce. I used a little less of chili powder since I don't like spicy food. The filling was great even in the plain wheat rotis that we make. Thanks Mirjam, I LOVE this one!
Ok, I admit, I didn't think this was going to go over big with my family..but they loved it! My 6yr old asked for seconds and that is something. This is my first time making a tofu dish and I will definitely have to experiment more. Thanks!
This is my first time ever making tofu, to take over to a friend's house, and it was a big hit! I made it exactly as the recipe states, and I could have used a little more heat personally, but it was the right temperature to take to an event where you aren't sure of people's chili tolerance. I'll keep this recipe on-hand even for myself, and that's saying something for a meat-lover!