1/4 Photos of Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese Scones - Strictly for Grown Ups!
French Tart's Note:
Well, why share this delectable cheese with the children?! I discovered this recipe whilst at home in England - it was on a leaflet given out by the Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese company - I have made these twice now, and this is my slightly adapted recipe based on the original. A little bit of history about this superb English cheese.......Simon Jones, who started to make Lincolnshire Poacher, is the fourth generation to be running the farm, which has been in the family since 1917. It is situated on the edge of the beautiful Lincolnshire Wolds about ten miles from the east coast. The lush pastures sit on chalky land, which enables him to have a successful dairy herd in an area where dairy farms are very scarce and cheesemaking is virtually unknown. This cheddar-like unpasteurized cheese is the Supreme Champion at the British Cheese Awards, and is buttery, smooth, and nutty in taste. The sharp flavour will linger on your palate. It is aged anywhere from 18-24 months.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- 2Sieve flour & baking powder and salt, then add butter and rub together.
- 3Then add 5oz of the grated cheese followed by the eggs.
- 4Continue to work the mixture together by hand.
- 5With the ingredients worked in, pour the mixture out of the bowl onto the worktop.
- 6Gradually add the milk into the mixture as it is worked together.
- 7Use a little flour to stop the dough sticking to the worktop.
- 8Gently roll out the dough to about 1" - 1 1/2" inch thick, then using a pastry cutter (2" diameter).
- 9Cut out, arrange on a greased baking tray.
- 10Brush with egg-wash, as an option the remainder of the cheese could be sprinkled on top, bake for 10-12 minutes.
- 11Serve hot, split and spread with butter!
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese Scones - Strictly for Grown Ups!
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1126.5
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 234.8 mg
- Sodium 1028.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 169.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 27.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lincolnshire poacher cheese