Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Raisin bread maximized! Lovely with tea or coffee.
- 5 ounces prunes, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water, boiling
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses or 1 tablespoon dark treacle
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 2⁄3 cup raisins or 2⁄3 cup sultana
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 300F and lightly grease a 6 x 9 inch loaf pan with butter; line bottom with baking paper.
- Place prunes in a small bowl and cover with water and brandy; soak for ten minutes.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses; mix well.
- Add eggs gradually (the mixture will look a little curdled).
- Add fruit, including soaking liquid.
- Sift flour, salt and spices together; fold into liquid mixture.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1.25 hours or until bread tests done.
- Remove from oven to cooling rack, leaving in pan for ten minutes.
- Turn out to cool.
- Sift confectioners sugar over the top before serving.