There is no other way to describe this soup besides just saying WOW. My mom taught me this recipe and well, my mom is the best cook on the planet. Anything she makes is wonderful. You can enjoy this soup guilt free as it is lower in calories and is loaded with veggies!
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange lentils
- 1 medium onion, sliced into four pieces
- 1 large tomato, sliced into four pieces
- 1 handful baby carrots
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and sliced
- chicken broth, 64 ounces
- garlic, finely minced
- cumin, 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- Rinse Lentils and add them to a big cooking pot. Add all the veggies (do not add the parsley). Add the Chicken broth. Cook on medium high for approximately 30 to 40 minutes or until the veggies are very tender. Once the veggies are very tender, take the pot off the stove and set on a heat proof area. Mix the soup with a hand blender until very smooth (You can use a blender but it's just easier with a hand blender). Put the smooth soup back on the stove on a low setting and add the butter and mix until the butter has melted in with the soup. Add your cumin, garlic and salt. Mix into the soup. Finely, add your chopped parsley and mix.
- Serve hot. So good.
Made for Spring Pick a Chef 2011 Orphanage. Delicious. I love soups and this was no exception. I did add a little smoked sausage for DH and he gobbled the soup right down. Will be making this again. Thank you.
Mmmm, nice comforting lentil soup I make mine very similar but I use ham stock but this was very nice. Thank you for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2011.