Prep 0 mins
Cook 22 mins
I can't believe we have all these Hoppin' John recipes and no one has posted his date yet. Traditional with Hoppin' John. Here is one varation.
- 2 ounces bacon or 2 ounces vegetarian bacon, diced
- 1 cup frozen okra, sliced
- 1 cup cajun-style rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups light vegetable broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- louisiana hot sauce
- Brown the bacon in a saucepan.
- Stir in the okra and rice.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with Louisiana-style hot sauce on the side.
- NOTE: For Vegetarian option use vegetable broth and vegetarian bacon.
- If using the Vegetarian bacon. Cook the okra and rice in a bit of broth or oil. You can add Liquid smoke hickory flavor to it. Then continue until the last five minutes of cooking then add the diced vegetarian bacon. Or cook the bacon then dice and add to dish just before serving. It is not made to stand up to cooking as 'real' bacon is so always add it last.