Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT6 Scandinavian leg of tour. Limpa—a moist rye bread from Sweden—is often flavored with aniseed (or fennel), caraway seeds, and orange zest.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons anise seed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- Preheat oven to 425°F and butter muffin tins.
- In a bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, aniseed, and caraway seeds.
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined (do not overmix).
- Divide batter evenly among muffin tins and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.