Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Note: This recipe uses uncooked eggs. If salmonella is a concern, use pasteurized in the shell. Adapted from Il Barone Ristorante.
- 3 large eggs, separated (see note in description)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (yellow only)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup limoncello
- 2 cups milk
- about 5 dozen french-style ladyfinger cookie
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- about 1 cup shaved white chocolate
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together egg yolks, powdered sugar and lemon zest until light and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. If using a stand mixer, switch to the paddle attachment Add cream and mascarpone; beat until fluffy. If using a stand mixer, transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the mascarpone base. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together limoncello and milk.
- Quickly soak ladyfingers in the limoncello mixture and use them to line the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Gently spoon in about half of the whipped mascarpone mixture, smoothing it over the soaked ladyfingers.
- Add another layer of soaked ladyfingers, then cover with the remaining whipped mascarpone mixture.
- Refrigerate just until chilled, about 2 hours. Serve within a few hours of assembly. Before serving, sprinkle with cocoa powder and top with shaved white chocolate.