Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fantastic on pasta, ravioli, chicken, or seafood. I prefer to use Limoncello, or if using Vodka, add some lemon zest and a bit of sugar to simulate. Here's a *great* recipe for making your own Limoncello, if you've got some time: http://www.recipezaar.com/167289
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced (about 10-12 cloves )
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped or crushed, fire-roasted)
- 1⁄3 cup limoncello (I prefer limoncello, or add lemon peel & sugar to vodka) or 1⁄3 cup vodka (I prefer limoncello, or add lemon peel & sugar to vodka)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (separated)
- salt & pepper
- ravioli (your choice) or other pastas (your choice)
- Heat olive oil & butter in pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until lightly golden. Add mushrooms and continue browning. Add garlic and red pepper flakes for another 1 minute. Carefully add tomatoes – should boil vigorously – watch for splatters. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, while you cook pasta of choice.
- While pasta is draining, add basil, cream, and ½ cup of cheese and bring back up to temperature, without boiling. Taste again for salt & pepper.
- Serve over pasta, ravioli, or paillards of chicken, or seafood - sprinkle with remaining Parm. YUM-OH!