Prep 15 mins
Cook 480 hrs
This is a great recipe I received from a friend of mine. When I lived in Europe this was a favorite drink of ours. I make this in batches and give as gifts to friends and co-workers during the holidays.This is very refreshing on hot summer days straight out of the freezer!
- Wash the lemons with hot water before you start.
- Remove the peel with a vegetable peeler, remmoving all the white pith on the back by scraping with a knife, and put the peels in a 4 quart mason jar.
- Add 1 bottle of vodka and stir.
- Cover the jar, date it, and put to rest in a dark cabinet at room temperature.
- After 10-40 days take out the vodka-lemon miture.
- In a saucepan over high heat, stir the sugar and water together and boil for 5 minutes.
- Let the sugar syrup cool completely in the pan, abut 10 minutes.
- Add the syrup to the vodka-lemon mixture along with the 2nd bottle of vodka.
- Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Replace the cover on the jar, note the finish date, and put to rest in a dark cabinet at room temperature.
- After 10-40 days, remove the limoncello from the cabinet.
- Strain the mixture and discard the lemon peels.
- Pour the limoncello into clean, unused bottle and store in the pantry.
- Before serving, place the bottle in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Note - The longer the mixture sits in the cabinet, the better. Oranges or Limes can be used in pace of lemons as well.