Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I'm going on a Food Network frenzy! This recipe comes from Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello. It looked so refreshing when he made it! He says You can make this with any citrus. The key is using the best and freshest citrus possible. Fruit that has been in storage a long time gives a muddy taste to the drink. Obviously, prep time does not include the 4 weeks standing time!
- 12 meyer lemons, peel only, no pith (or 12 a mixture of lemons and limes, peel only, no pith)
- 3 sprigs lavender (optional but lovely)
- 2 liters light rum or 2 liters vodka
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Put the lemon peels, lavender, if using, and rum or vodka in a container and let stand for 4 weeks.
- Strain the mixture into a decanter.
- Mix the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool before adding to the rum mixture.
- Serve in small aperitif glasses.
- Store in the freezer for up to 1 year.