This is from Beat This, by Ann Hodgman. That one and Beat That, also by her, are real gems if you ever get the chance to peruse them. She says to get really tart lemon squares, use limes. I have, and these are delicious. The citrus salt is optional, but really makes you pucker. :) She says you can find it in Middle Eastern markets, but you may be able to get it these days in a well stocked grocery store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon almond paste
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Preheat the oven to 375° and butter an 8" square pan.
- 2Place all crust ingredients in a food processor and process until the mix just begins to form a ball.
- 3Pat the mixture in the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or pale golden.
- 4Turn the oven down to 350°.
- 5Wipe out the food processor with a paper towel and add all the filling ingredients into the bowl.
- 6Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- 7Pour into the crust and bake for 20 minutes.
- 8Cool, chill well.
- 9Sprinkle with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar.
- 10Cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Limey Lemon Squares
Serving Size: 1 (780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.5
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 71.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: