Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from Beat This, by Ann Hodgman. That one and Beat That, also by her, are real gems if you ever get the chance to peruse them. She says to get really tart lemon squares, use limes. I have, and these are delicious. The citrus salt is optional, but really makes you pucker. :) She says you can find it in Middle Eastern markets, but you may be able to get it these days in a well stocked grocery store.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon almond paste
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar, stirred together with
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon citrus salt (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting the top
- Preheat the oven to 375° and butter an 8" square pan.
- Place all crust ingredients in a food processor and process until the mix just begins to form a ball.
- Pat the mixture in the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or pale golden.
- Turn the oven down to 350°.
- Wipe out the food processor with a paper towel and add all the filling ingredients into the bowl.
- Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into the crust and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool, chill well.
- Sprinkle with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar.
- Cut into squares.