Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a cake for citrus-lovers, for sure!
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄3 granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan(or 3 mini pans).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lime zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes (about 35 in the mini pans), or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lime juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lime-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak inches Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake when completely cooled.
Made for church picnic. Accidently put the 1/3 cup lime juice in the batter and did not compensate with more flour. So it was very dense. Added star fruit to the top, since I have an over abundance. I will not give it a star rating until I make it correctly.