Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You can either make your own pastry or buy the frozen pre-made tarts in the frozen section of the grocery store to save time. Cook times are approximate.
sweet tart pastry dough
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- green food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- whipped cream
- finely shredded lime peel (optional)
- Bake pre made pastry shells if using.
- Combine sugar and cornstatch in a saucepan. Stir in whipping cream, the 1 teaspoons lime peel and lime juice. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, sour cream and enough food coloring to make a pale green mixture: Use a couple drops at a time so as to not make too green. Cool to room temperature. Spoon into tart shells, cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- To Serve: Spoon whipped cream onto tarts and garnish with lime peel.
- Sweet Tart Pastry.
- Stir together flour & sugar. Cut in butter until the pieces are the size of peas. Stir together yolk & water; stir into flour. Knead the dough just until a ball forms. If necessary, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 to 60 minute or until dough is easy to handle.
- Prtehat oven to 400*. Shape dough into eighteen 3/4" balls. Press each ball into a 1 3/4" ungreased muffin cups, pressing an evev layer onto and up sides of each cup. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Cool.