Recipe by grandma2969
delicious!!! to prepare lime sugar you will need 6 limes and 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar..remove zest from limes with vegetable peeler..cut away white pith..chop zest ..be sure you have at least 1/2 cup...then grind in a food processor..with sugar till mixture is pale green with bits of zest still visible...make at least 3 days before using...keep chilled...sugar becomes aerated in food processor...this is good in iced tea or sprinkled on frest fruit..etc..
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Crisco, cold
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lime sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- beat crisco and butter, granulated sugar and 2 tbls lime sugar.with mixer till light and fluffy --beat in egg and vanilla. sift in flour, baking powder and salt.
- sprinkle dry ingredients over egg mixture and then beat at low speed till well combined. form dough into a 10" log.2" in diameter on waxed paper.
- roll in waxed paper and chill dough in refrigerator till firm -- at least 4 hours.I usually let it set overnight. cut logs into 1/4" round.
- Preheat oven to 375*. bake 10-12 minutes or pale golden brown. after baking immediately transfer to rack over sheet of waxed paper.
- sprinkle tops with additional lime sugar.
- cool completely--these are delicious.