Recipe by lazyme
A very tasty, light, refreshing soup. I sometimes make this ahead and keep it warm in the crockpot. I also don't use nearly as much oil as the recipe calls for. From Bon Appetit.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 corn tortillas, strips
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 6 slices limes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 cup oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, add tortilla strips; fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels; drain.
- Mix broth and next 4 ingredients in large saucepan; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- (Tortilla strips and soup can be made 1 day ahead. Store strips airtight at room temperature. Cover soup and chill; rewarm before continuing.)
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, bell pepper and onion.
- Sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.
- Place 1 lime slice in each of 6 bowls.
- Ladle soup over.
- Mound tortilla strips and chicken mixture in center of each.