Recipe by morgainegeiser
Bulgar wheat dishes are particularly popular in Turkey where delicately flavored pilafs are often served.
Top Review by threeovens
This was easy and delicious! I loved the hint of lime. I used cracked bulgur which needed more water because it cooks longer, as I discovered. I am new to whole grains. Made for ZWT 6.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups bulgur wheat, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lime peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water if necessary, about a tablespoon at a time, to prevent sticking.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in remaining ingredients, except pine nuts, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered, 5 minutes.
- Fluff bulgar with a fork and spoon into a shallow serving bowl.
- Top with toasted pine nuts.