- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- green food coloring (several drops)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped pistachio nut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in sugar and baking powder; beat until combined.
- Beat in egg and lime juice until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour and the lime peel with a wooden spoon.
- Knead in enough green food coloring for desired color.
- Shape dough into two 8-inch long rolls; wrap in clear plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Chill 4-24 hours or until firm enough to slice.
- Cut rolls into1/8-inch slices; place slices 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 7-8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Spread bottoms of half the cookies with about 1 tablespoon of Lime-Pistachio filling; top with remaining cookies, flat sides down.
- To make Lime-Pistachio Filling: in a medium-size bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually beat in 1 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar; beat in lime juice until smooth.
- Gradually beat in enough sifted powdered sugar (1 1/3 to 2 cups) to make of spreading consistency; stir in pistachio nuts.