Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Not only does this Mexican-inspired "kebob" make wicked-good fajitas, tacos, burritos, or just plain, the cilantro creme sauce turns any other sandwich (e.g turkey, beef...) into something phenominal!
CHICKEN and MARINADE
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 large limes, juice of (apx. 1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons very dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 scallions, sliced (green onion)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 6 tablespoons marinade, reserved above
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos (seeded, deveined, and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons almonds, slivered, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
CILANTRO CREME SAUCE
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup green tomatillo salsa (Pace & Victoria are good)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf, fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded lg. chunk
- 2 onions, peeled, quartered
- Chicken & Marinade: In a large Zip-Lock bag, make the marinade by mixing together the lime juice, sherry, oil, oregano, and garlic salt. Remove three Tablespoons of marinade; set aside. Add chicken to the remaining marinade, turning to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Soak wooden skewers in hot water at least 30 minutes.
- Salsa: In a bowl, mix all ingredients well, and chill for an hour or more before serving.
- Cilantro Crème Sauce:.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Place in a serving bowl, chill a few hours or overnight.
- Skewers: Toss bell peppers and onion quarters in with marinating chicken for last 30 minutes. Starting and ending with red bell pepper, make 7-8 skewers.
- Place the skewers chicken on grill with rack about 8 inches from heat source. Brush the heated marinade over chicken. Grill, turning and basting frequently with marinade, about 16 - 20 minutes, or until chicken is fork-tender.
- Arrange skewers on the platter, with cilantro cream sauce underneath, and salsa on top.
I have to agree with you about the cilantro creme sauce! I couldn't stop eating it! That is what really makes this dish--I served it with some plain rice, and it was outstanding--and EASY! Thanks a bunch for a new way with chicken--