- 1 cup raw short-grain brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth, boiling
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 2 large roasted green chilies, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried marjoram
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice with broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add shallot, scallions and chilies, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add black-eyed peas and rice, and reduce heat to low. Add lime juice, cilantro, and marjoram. Cover, and cook mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.