Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted in response to a request. This is an old family favourite. It is light and fluffy - ideal after a fairly heavy meal. Always a favourite around Easter time at our house. Prep time includes setting time.
- 1 package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup water, boiling
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 can evaporated milk, chilled (not condensed)
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 graham cracker pie crust
- Mix jello, boiling water, sugar and the juice from 1 lemon together.
- Stir until sugar is disolved.
- Let partially set (1 hour) Whip evaporated milk in large mixing bowl.
- When it begins to form small peaks, add jello and whip again until well mixed.
- (You can add a couple drops of green food colouring if you like) Fold in drained pineapple.
- Pour into each of two graham cracker pie shells.
- Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- Decorate top with sliced limes and more graham cracker crumbs if desired.
Just a helpful hint to anyone who chooses to make this: Try chilling the beaters, bowl and milk before whipping and you will find that it whips more easily. The peaks will be "soft" peaks, unlike those of whipped cream or egg whites.
This was really good and easy to make, but I could not get it to whip into peaks. I must have whipped it for about 10 minutes. I added the jello, and poured into the graham pie shells. It tasted great, and I have been eating it like crazy. The only thing I don't think it was as fluffy as it probably should be, maybe I didn't chill the milk long enough. I love how it is such a light taste, but full of flavor. Good recipe, thank you.