Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
Posted in response to a request. This is an old family favourite. It is light and fluffy - ideal after a fairly heavy meal. Always a favourite around Easter time at our house. Prep time includes setting time.
Top Review by Just Call Me Martha
Just a helpful hint to anyone who chooses to make this: Try chilling the beaters, bowl and milk before whipping and you will find that it whips more easily. The peaks will be "soft" peaks, unlike those of whipped cream or egg whites.
- 1 package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup water, boiling
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 can evaporated milk, chilled (not condensed)
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 graham cracker pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix jello, boiling water, sugar and the juice from 1 lemon together.
- Stir until sugar is disolved.
- Let partially set (1 hour) Whip evaporated milk in large mixing bowl.
- When it begins to form small peaks, add jello and whip again until well mixed.
- (You can add a couple drops of green food colouring if you like) Fold in drained pineapple.
- Pour into each of two graham cracker pie shells.
- Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- Decorate top with sliced limes and more graham cracker crumbs if desired.