Prep 144 hrs
Cook 144 hrs
This recipe came from a next door neighbour, who was East Indian. I found these pickles interesting. In comparison to other recipes for lime pickles they seem alot alike.
- 20 limes, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup rock salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 100 g chili powder
- 25 g ginger, sliced
- 20 green chilies, topped and slit
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion seeds
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- In a large glass bowl place limes.
- Toss well with salt and turmeric.
- Add ginger and green chilies.
- Toss well to coat evenly.
- Set aside for 4 days.
- Heat oil and add the asafoetida.
- Allow to cool.
- Crush aniseed, fenugreek into mix.
- Add remaining ingredients to the lime and shake well.
- Allow to stand for 2 days.