Easy to make and so many uses, I like to mix a few tablespoons with some rum and drizzle that over coconut ice cream. Not to forget it is a nice gift.
- Soften the limes by rolling them back and forth with your hands on the kitchen counter; you will get more juice out of them if you do this.
- Grate the zest very finely, take care that you dont grate the white pith.
- Squeeze the juice out of the fruit; you will need 150mL.
- Put the rind (zest), butter, sugar and juice in a heatproof basin.
- Stand this over a pan of boiling water and heat until the sugar and butter have melted.
- Lower the heat, you dont want the water to boil now.
- Whisk in the eggs, when incorporated use a wooden spoon and stir until the curd has thickened and coats the back of the spoon, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Pour into hot jars, when cool label them.
- Use this recipe also to make orange or lemon curd, just make sure you have 150mL juice Keep in the fridge.