Recipe by auntchelle
It's great to make mayo from scratch but, if you don't have time, you can use a good quality whole-egg purchased one then just do step 3. This will keep in a refrigerator, well covered, for 2-3 days. Australian measurements used.
Top Review by Neohippie
This works great. I like mayo recipes that have a higher egg yolk to oil ratio. I think the extra egg yolk helps it emulsify more easily. One mayo making tip a friend told me: let all your ingredients come to room temperature before you start. Supposedly they mix more easily if they all start out the same temperature.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed (or lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (or lemon)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine egg yolks, mustard and half the lemon juice in a blender or food processor until light and creamy.
- With the blender still running, add the oil in a thin stream until the mixture thickens. Stir in remaining lemon juice.
- Stir in lime juice and the lime zest then season to taste.