Prep 169 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Plan ahead for the party if you want to make this. It's from Giada De Laurentiis and sounds really good. Toast anyone?
- 2 lbs limes (about 10 large)
- 1 (750 ml) bottle 100 proof vodka
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- ice cube
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup club soda
- To make limoncello:
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the limes in long strips (reserve the limes for another use).
- Place the lime peels in a 1-quart jar.
- Pour the vodka over the peels and screw on the lid.
- Steep the lime peels in the vodka for 1 week at room temperature.
- Stir the sugar and water in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely, then stir in the vodka mixture.
- Strain the liquids into bottles, pressing on the peels to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.
- To make spritzers:
- Fill 4 tall glasses halfway with ice.
- Add the mint leaves.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, coarsely crush the mint leaves into the ice.
- Pour some limoncello over, and stir to blend.
- Add a splash of club soda and serve.
I enjoyed this lemony sweet and so strong drink. I must say I did cheat and used limoncello that was given to me for my birthday by my girlfriend Michele.