Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the book of Charmaine Soloman. We are preserving limes in bulk and they are wonderful for cooking, remember this is a recipe for preserved limes not fresh limes!!! I just love this, the flavour of this is strong so you do not need much.
- 8 salted limes (or preserved limes)
- 6 fresh red chili peppers
- 6 fresh green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons black cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 cup mustard or 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 piece asafetida powder, size of a peppercorn
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass or 2 slices lemon rind
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 110 ml honey, to sweeten
- Separate limes into quarters and cut each quarter into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Remove stems and seeds of chillies and cut into halves or quarters depending on size.
- In a dry pan roast the various seeds separately over medium deat, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- When they smell aromatic turn them out of the pan into a plate to cool.
- Heat both kinds of oil in a large pan and fry asafoetida, then lift it out and discard.
- Fry garlic and ginger over low heat until golden, then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, add honey.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon grass.
- Cool and bottle.