Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the book of Charmaine Soloman. We are preserving limes in bulk and they are wonderful for cooking, remember this is a recipe for preserved limes not fresh limes!!! I just love this, the flavour of this is strong so you do not need much.
- 8 salted limes (or preserved limes)
- 6 fresh red chili peppers
- 6 fresh green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons black cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 cup mustard or 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 piece asafetida powder, size of a peppercorn
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass or 2 slices lemon rind
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 110 ml honey, to sweeten
- Separate limes into quarters and cut each quarter into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Remove stems and seeds of chillies and cut into halves or quarters depending on size.
- In a dry pan roast the various seeds separately over medium deat, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- When they smell aromatic turn them out of the pan into a plate to cool.
- Heat both kinds of oil in a large pan and fry asafoetida, then lift it out and discard.
- Fry garlic and ginger over low heat until golden, then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, add honey.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon grass.
- Cool and bottle.