Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From NYTimes.com. Originally published with FOOD; PLANNING AHEAD FOR THE DESSERT COURSE OF INFORMAL DINNERS By MOIRA HODGSON, December 1, 1985
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 3 limes, juice of (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 dash vanilla essence
- 1 pint raspberries
- Dissolve the gelatin in one-fourth cup warm water. Heat the lime juice, add the sugar, dissolve. Mix it with the gelatin. Cool.
- Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they stand in stiff peaks.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the lime juice mixture, then fold in the cream and the vanilla essence. Mix well and place in a five-cup souffle dish. Chill overnight.
- Turn the mousse out onto a platter and arrange the raspberries in a circle around it. Place a couple of raspberries on top. YIELD 6 - 8 servings.