Recipe by Dib's
I'm a lime freak. This is a nice change from the lemon version.
Top Review by dale!
Loved the lime flavour! I tried something different and didn't use a pastry shell at all. I just poured the filling into the dish and popped the meringue on top and made a Lime meringue dessert instead of a Lime meringue pie! Very nice and saved some calories too! I also cut the sugar down to 1 cup which was plenty and still very, very sweet. Yummy dessert,many thanks!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks (you figure it out)
- 2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- green food coloring (optional)
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups berry sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl add flour and cut in butter until crumbly.
- Mix in yolks and enough cold water to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out and line a pie plate, pre bake in a 400* oven for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Use weights or rice or beans.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and lime juice in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in yolks and butter until well combined.
- Gradually add boiling water.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add zest and food coloring if using.
- Mix well.
- Turn into the cooled pie shell.
- For Meringue------------------------èÀ.
- Beat whites until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly beat in sugar until dissolved.
- Spoon meringue onto filling.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 15 minutes or until meringue is light brown.