Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm a lime freak. This is a nice change from the lemon version.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks (you figure it out)
- 2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- green food coloring (optional)
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups berry sugar
- In a large bowl add flour and cut in butter until crumbly.
- Mix in yolks and enough cold water to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out and line a pie plate, pre bake in a 400* oven for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Use weights or rice or beans.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and lime juice in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in yolks and butter until well combined.
- Gradually add boiling water.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add zest and food coloring if using.
- Mix well.
- Turn into the cooled pie shell.
- For Meringue------------------------èÀ.
- Beat whites until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly beat in sugar until dissolved.
- Spoon meringue onto filling.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 15 minutes or until meringue is light brown.
Loved the lime flavour! I tried something different and didn't use a pastry shell at all. I just poured the filling into the dish and popped the meringue on top and made a Lime meringue dessert instead of a Lime meringue pie! Very nice and saved some calories too! I also cut the sugar down to 1 cup which was plenty and still very, very sweet. Yummy dessert,many thanks!
Excellant meringue pie!! The lime seems sweeter that lemon, everyone loved it, especially DH. I have to admit I did not make a pie shell, I used a bought one, it turned out just fine.!! Thanks for sharing a good one.
I, unlike the other 3 reviewers, DID make the pie shell- and it was great! This is pleasantly tart, although I don't think that the lime flavor is extremely distinct. I think if I had added green food color it might have tasted more limey- lol. An excellent pie overall- I like the fact that it used up all the eggs and didn't leave me sitting with whites or yolks to use up. I had a problem with the pie getting watery after it had been sliced... I don't know why this is or if this is just typical of citrus merangue pies, but we had to pour off the sugary citrusy liquid that developed where the slices had been cut. I am feeling unsure about whether this deserves 4 or 5 stars, but I think I am going to have to go with 4 because as much as I like it, I just like it, I don't love it. Thanks for posting Di. I may make this again when I end up with another lime surplus.