Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from TAMI L. SMITH: Specialty Baker & Contributing Editor to www.baking 911.com. Try lemon or orange zest.
- 2 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (finely grated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250° (F) Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment or foil.
- Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar very slowly, beating well between additions, until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold in lime zest and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets or pipe small kisses with a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip.
- Bake until dry, but not brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 2 to 3 minutes before removing from baking sheets.
I made 2 differant meringue recipes (I wanted red & green) this one and Easy and Delicious Meringue Cookies both turned out great. To this one I added green food coloring and lime oil along with the zest for a stronger lime taste then followed the recipe they turned out great and really looked pretty on the plate. Everyone loved them and though they made a lot, they went fast. Thanks so much for posting.
I had three egg whites left over from another recipe so did a quick search and found this recipe so I adjusted accordingly (2 egg whites = 2/3 cup sugar so 3 egg whites = 1 cup sugar). Very easy and they taste just like I thought meringue cookies should. I need to fancy them up a little as others did and whip up another batch for my daughter's bridal shower. These were a "test run." I'll use lemon this next time. Thanks for posting!
Really good and super easy recipe. They were very swwet as there was very little lime flavoring. I did use lime juice, but still did not taste much lime. I am going to add lime extract next time if I can find it. Otherwise, I will find a different extract to use. I am sure any flavor would be delicious!