Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'Tacos, Quesadillas & Burritos' by Laura Washburn
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 1⁄4 lbs thick boneless rib eye steaks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 -12 flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- thinly sliced tomatoes
- The relish--put the onions, cilantro, orange and lime juice, vinegar, and salt in a small bowl.
- Mix well to combine; cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Return to room temperature before serving.
- Steaks--combine the lime juice, cumin, and salt in a shallow dish large enough to hold the steaks in a single layer.
- Add the steaks and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Return to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a grill pan/griddle set over high heat or preheat the barbecue.
- Cook the steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the steaks.
- Season lightly with salt and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing thinly on the diagonal.
- To serve, spread each tortilla with a thin layer of guacamole.
- Add a generous helping of steak and top with a spoonful of onion relish.
- Serve immediately with sliced tomatoes and extra guacamole.