Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
For our St Patricks day lunch.
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup lightly sweetened whipped cream, whipped with 1 tbsp instant vanilla pudding as a stabilizer if desired
- Combine eggs and sugar and beat until thick and lemon coloured, and a ribbon forms when you lift the beater, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and lime zest.
- Fold in the dery ingredients carefully.
- Spray a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray, line with wax paper or parchment, and spray again.
- Spoon the batter carefully into the pan, smoothing it out into corners and being careful not to deflate it.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- While the cake is baking prepare a large towel (I use a bath towel) by laying it on the table and sprinkling with confectioners sugar. Tip the finished cake onto the towel, and working quickly, trim 1/8 inch off the edges of the cake. Roll up in the towel and set aside to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, juice and zest until smooth. (I'm going to add some green food colouring to make it more appropriate for St Patricks day).
- Microwave in one minute intervals until mixture is thick and coats back of metal spoon. Remove from microwave and add butter, a little at a time, whisking smooth after each addition.
- Let cool completely. Store for up to three weeks.
- When cake is cool unroll it gently and spread with cooled lime curd. Carefully spread the whipped cream over that and roll back up.
- If you have time, refrigerate for a few hours.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and slice carefully.