Recipe by Pam-I-Am
This Jello salad is a tradition in our family to serve with ham or pork. It has shredded cabbage and carrots in it which give it a nice crunch. My Mom always served it when I was a kid and she can't remember where she got the recipe from. My kids love it. You can make with with regular or sugar free jello.
Top Review by rollanda
Thank you Pam for submitting this recipe. My mother made this (except for the carrots) EVERY Thanksgiving of my life, until she passed away 21 years ago. For 21 years I kept the molds she used for the individual jello salads and never once used them or made the salad because it was too painful. This year I decided to dig out the molds and realized I didn't know the exact recipe for the jello. I recognize all the ingredients except the carrots, so this will do nicely. Thank you for allowing me to start up the tradition once again. I noticed other readers mentioned the mayo. My mom used to put a dollop of mayo on each individual serving as well. Sounds horrible, put honestly there's something to it and I always loved it.
- 1 (3 ounce) box lime Jell-O gelatin (or Sugar Free)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup water, with leftover pineapple juice
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded very fine
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice, drain and save juice
- Shred cabbage in food processor to be very fine and to equal 1 cup. Grate carrots to equal 1/2 cup. Add both to an 8 x 8 square dish.
- Drain crushed pineapple, reserving liquid in a measuring cup. Add ice to the juice so it will equal exactly one cup. Set aside.
- In a small pan on low heat, heat one cup water. Add jello to dissolve and turn off heat. Add the pineapple juice/ice to the pan and stir until ice melts.
- Pour jello mixture into the 8 x 8 dish with the cabbage, carrots and pineapple. Refrigerate for 2 hours unti firm.
- Cut into 9 square servings and and enjoy!